It’s been a hot minute since I posted… sorry ’bout that, y’all! Every chance I get I’m working on new recipes and new content but it’s been a bit slow going at the moment. Keep an eye out however because new things are indeed on their way and I, for one, am very, very excited! Now, let’s talk about Taco Bell…
So before I went vegan, my favorite thing to get at the Bell was their chicken quesadilla. I remember it being creamy and ooey gooey inside in a way that I had never experienced a quesadilla being before. That was my inspiration for today’s recipe! My version is totes better tho because it’s vegan and because I get a fantastic crispiness to the outside – unlike the OG version which is soft both inside and out. The difference in texture was important to me and so was achieving that perfect creamy, ooey-gooey interior. I think I’ve hit the nail right on the head with a sauce and “cheese” combo that melts down wonderfully every time.
Whether you eat it by itself or you put some rice, beans, or veganized cheesy fiesta potatoes on the side, you’re sure to enjoy this disc o’ deliciousness! Give it a try and let me know what you think 🙂
Vegan 'Chicken' Quesadillas
Credit: Compassion is the Secret Ingredient, http://www.citsiblog.com
- 2 tbsp oil + more for tortillas
- 1 bag of Gardein Chick’n Strips
- 5 tbsp vegan mayo (I prefer original Vegenaise!)
- 2 tbsp taco sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 4 medium size tortillas
- Vegan “cheddar” shreds
- Vegan “mozzarella” shreds
- In a pan over medium-high heat, pour in oil then add chick’n strips and cook for 7-10 minutes, allowing them to brown on each side. While they’re cooking, combine the vegan mayo and the taco sauce in a small bowl and set aside. When chick’n strips are nearly done, season them with the onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. When done, cut the chick’n strips into smaller pieces then set aside for a moment.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grab a sheet pan and place 2 of your tortillas onto it, lightly oiling the bottom of the tortillas so they crisp up on the pan. Smear about 2 good spoonfuls worth of the mayo mixture onto each tortilla leaving a little room around the edges. Sprinkle over top of the mayo mixture some “cheddar” shreds and some “mozzarella” shreds. Next, add the chick’n pieces. Cover the chick’n pieces with more “cheese.” Lay the 2 remaining tortillas down on a flat surface and smear each with 2 good spoonfuls of the mayo mixture just as you did with the bottom tortillas. Place these tortillas onto the final “cheese” layer you just did, mayo side down, then lightly oil the side facing up. Bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and carefully flip each quesadilla over using a spatula. Return the pan to the oven for 3-5 more minutes or until lightly golden on each side. When done, allow the quesadillas to rest for 5 minutes before you cut into them to serve. Enjoy!